NGH implements enhanced visitor restrictions: Only designated Essential Care Providers permitted entry
(NGH) Tuesday, April 26, 2022 – Due to the high number of COVID-19 transmission and risks associated with the current COVID-19 outbreaks throughout our facility, Norfolk General (NGH) has made the difficult decision to implement enhanced visitor restrictions at the hospital, effective Wednesday, April 27.
This means there will be NO SOCIAL VISITORS ALLOWED at NGH for the foreseeable future.
To ensure that patients have the support they need, patients will be allowed two designated Essential Care Providers (ECPs); however, only one ECP will be allowed at a time. Visiting hours will be available from 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
NGH understands how important the presence of family members and loved ones are to our patients; however, by limiting the number of people in our facilities through visitor restrictions, we are ensuring safety for our patients, clients, staff and physicians.
All Essential Care Providers (ECPs) must:
- Monitor for COVID-19 symptoms before each visit. Symptomatic or COVID exposed/positive ECPs (regardless of vaccination status) are not permitted to visit.
- Be screened before entering.
- Wear a hospital issued mask, sanitize their hands and only go to their loved one’s room.
- All ECPs visiting our inpatient units are required to have a COVID-19 Rapid test performed, with a negative result at the hospital, before being permitted through to visit.
- All ECPs visiting our inpatient units must sign a form that indicates that they will be compliant with the hospital’s guidelines
- ONE designated Essential Care Provider (ECP) will be permitted at a time (some exceptions may apply – see below)
- TWO Essential Care Providers can be designated and are not interchangeable.
- Physical distancing must be maintained.
- No eating or drinking is permitted while visiting.
- Frequent hand cleaning is required.
- Not use a patient’s washroom.
- Be 18 and older
Some exceptions are in place for certain patients, including patients who are eligible for a designated (ECP):
- End of Life – Palliative Care
- Patients with intellectual / communication impairments (cognitive impairment leading to agitation and inability to console; communication impairment which affects care)
As well, patients visiting the Emergency Department and outpatient clinics who require assistance may have one support person only.
These updated COVID-19 visitation guidelines are based on direction from Norfolk General Hospital’s Infection Prevention & Control (IPAC) experts, in collaboration with our Regional COVID-19 Taskforce partners.
We understand it is difficult for families and friends to be separated from their loved ones during this period. We encourage people to use technology to connect with our patients.
To see our most up-to-date visiting guidelines, please click here: https://www.ngh.on.ca/patients_visitors/for-visitors/