Masking still required at Norfolk General Hospital
Norfolk General Hospital (NGH) no longer has COVID-19 screening booths at the front entrance of our hospitals. Instead, you will need to pass the self-screening questions posted at our entrances.
At NGH, we will continue to require everyone who enters our hospital to sanitize their hands and to wear a mask.
Wear a mask
- Medical masks will be available from mask dispensers at designated hospital entrances.
- Those who refuse to properly wear a mask may not be permitted entry, unless requiring medical attention.
- Respirators, or masks with valves, and cloth masks are not permitted.
- Speak with us if you have a medical condition that prevents you from wearing a mask, we will work with you to accommodate your needs.
Screening for COVID-19
Infection prevention and control screening measures are in place to protect patients, visitors and staff.
Before entering the hospital, patients, Essential Care Providers (ECPs), visitors and vendors are required to self-screen by asking themselves the following questions:
- Do you have new or worsening:
- Cough or shortness of breath
- Unexplained diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting
- Sore throat
- In the last 10 days, have you or anyone in your household tested positive for COVID-19?
- Are you a close contact of someone who has tested positive for COVID-19?
Screening positive for symptoms of COVID-19
If you are a coming in for medical treatment or an appointment and answered YES to any of these questions, please contact a member of our staff to determine whether:
- Your appointment may proceed with additional precautions
- Your appointment may be cancelled or rescheduled
Essential Care Partners (ECPs), Visitors and Vendors
If you are an ECP, visitor or vendor and answered YES to any of these questions, please do not enter the hospital.
We understand it is difficult for families and friends to be separated from their loved ones. We encourage people to use technology to connect with our patients.
Visitors play an important role in the healing process and Norfolk General Hospital is pleased to be able to ease some restrictions at this time thanks, in part, to the community’s cooperation and adherence to COVID-19 precautions during the pandemic.
The situation will be monitored closely, and NGH will be ready to re-introduce infection control and occupational health measures should they be required.
For the most up-to-date information about our visiting guidelines, please visit our website or follow us on social media.