Process Provides Quality Performance Roadmap
October 4, 2012
Simcoe, ON – Norfolk General Hospital has achieved the highest level of excellence award from Accreditation Canada exemplifying the ongoing commitment to providing patients and their families with the highest quality health care.
The award ‘Accreditation with Exemplary Standing’ is awarded to organizations who demonstrate exceptional performance in their rating against national standards of excellence. These standards examine all aspects of health care, from patient safety and ethics to staff training and partnerships with community providers. Accreditation is one of the most effective ways for health care organizations to regularly and consistently examine and improve the quality of services.
“Quality improvement is part of our daily work and it was extremely satisfying to be acknowledged by Accreditation Canada as being exemplary in meeting their high national standards of excellence,” said Kelly Isfan, president and CEO of NGH.
“Accreditation gives us pride in our organization, offers confidence to those that we service and recognition to our partners in the health care industry that we are providing high quality health care,” said Dodie Trimble, director of quality and professional practice at NGH.
“NGH staff devotes time and resources to learn how to improve what we do so that we are confident we are providing the best possible care and service to our patients and their families. The Accreditation Survey Team interacted with multiple services and their staff throughout the process and were obviously impressed with how everyone contributes to high quality health care service at NGH,” said Trimble.
For more information please contact:
President & CEO - Norfolk General Hospital
519-426-0130. Ext. 1228
About the Process:
- Surveyors from Accreditation Canada were on-site at Norfolk General Hospital (NGH) on March 26-29, 2011
- Surveyors met with a broad spectrum of people from different areas of the hospital and the community including; staff, physicians, caregivers, patients and stakeholders
- Those surveyed shared their experiences, knowledge, perceptions and expectations of the hospital.
- The accreditation process reviewed NGH’s performance on 1676 applicable criteria across eight dimensions of quality.
- Accreditation has awarded NGH with a three year Accreditation Certificate (2012-2015)
- NGH last participated in the accreditation survey in 2009
Survey Accreditors noted NGH’s;
- Strong ability to develop effective partnerships with a wide variety of community partners.
- Significant progress with our Infection Prevention and Control, particularly in the area of hand hygiene awareness, education and compliance.
- Commitment to ensuring safe patient care, noting NGH’s successful falls prevention initiatives.
About Accreditation Canada
- Accreditation Canada in the major national accrediting body for health service organizations across Canada
- The accreditation program is designed to assist health service providers to drive improvements in health care through self-assessment and evaluation.