Norfolk General Hospital is committed to protecting the privacy of personal information and places the highest value on openness, transparency and accountability.
In many cases the information you seek may already be available, for example, on the Hospital’s website. Before making a formal request for access to information under the Act, please check our Directory of Records and Personal Information Bank. You may also find detailed information on our website www.ngh.on.ca
When an informal request for access to information or to correct your personal information is not possible, you can make a formal request to Norfolk General Hospital, FOI Office. You can download the request form by clicking on the link, Request Form. Although you are not required to use the form provided, we recommend that you do so to help ensure that your request is processed as quickly as possible.
- Prepare a cheque or money order for $5.00 payable to “Norfolk General Hospital”.
- Submit your request, together with the non-refundable $5.00 request form to:
Norfolk General Hospital: Attention FOI Coordinator
365 West Street
Simcoe, ON N3Y 1T7
The three (3) requirements for a formal request for access to information
The Hospital will only process your request if all of the following conditions are met:
- The request is in writing or you may complete and mail in the Request Form. If you do not use the Request Form, make sure your written request states that the request is being made under FIPPA.
- The $5 application fee for your written request (cheque or cash) has been received by the FOI Office (make cheques payable to: "Norfolk General Hospital"; cash payments should be delivered to the FOI office). Do not send cash payment by mail.
- You have provided sufficient detail to enable an experienced employee of the Hospital, with a reasonable amount of effort, to identify the information/record you are requesting.
Normally, the Hospital must make every reasonable effort to respond to your request within 30 calendar days from the date the Hospital receives your request. However, there are circumstances under the Act where the Hospital is permitted to extend the time limit beyond the 30 days.
The Hospital will, within the applicable time limit, issue you a decision letter regarding whether or not your request will be granted.
Appealing the results of FOI requests
If you disagree with the decision, you may appeal the decision to the Information and Privacy Commissioner. Any decision we issue related to Freedom of Information requests under The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA), including the decision to charge a fee, may be appealed to the Information and Privacy Commissioner within 30 days from date of receipt of the letter denying your request.
How to submit an appeal
Send the following to the Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario:
- a copy of your original request
- a copy of Norfolk General Hospital's response
- an appeal fee of $10 for personal information requests and $25 for general information requests
Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario
Suite 1400, 2 Bloor Street East
Toronto, ON M4W 1A8
Toll-free (Ontario only): 1.800.387.0073
The Hospital will only make corrections to factual information about you, for example: an incorrectly spelled name, an incorrect address, an incorrect birth date, a change of marital status, etc… If you are aware of incorrect personal information about you in a Hospital record, you may wish to request that the information be corrected. It is recommended that you begin by making an informal request by contacting the FOI Coordinator.